Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shan's Enchiladas and hummus!


I had friends over on Tuesday night and made enchiladas and hummus! It was so very good. This is my plate for leftovers on Wednesday, but they are still great as leftovers (served with a good ole box of spanish rice and veggies)

The original recipe of the enchiladas can be found on cooks.com under "Charlotte's sour cream enchiladas". We had it for my birthday with my girlfriends years ago but we changed it so much that I have it in my recipe book as Shane's birthday Enchiladas. :) The original calls for beef and red enchilada sauce. I use chicken and green sauce and mix the sour cream in. I'll give you the way I make it


2 Tbs veg oil
2 cups cooked and cubed or shredded chicken (I had this cooked before)
1 med. onion chopped ( I like it chopped fine)
1 can, 16 oz. black beans, drained
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1/3 cup mild taco sauce
1 c. pitted black olives, quartered (omitted them this time, Jo doesn't love olives :) )
2 cans, 10 oz each, mild enchilada sauce,(I used green)
12 flour tortillas (mine works out to be like 9 or 10 in the pan)
3 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese (used a two cup package and it was fine)
1 cup sour cream

I also add chopped peppers (whatever I have, red, green, yellow) and sometimes green chilis- just a little for flavor)

In large skillet, brown onions and peppers in oil. Add chicken, then beans, salts, and taco sauce and olives. Heat until bubbly. Add chilis if using

IN separate pan, heat enchilada sauce. Pour half of the sauce into a 9x13 casserole dish. Spoon 1/3 cup filling onto each torilla (I use like 1/2 cup) roll like a crepe.

Pleace tortillas, seam side down, in casserole. Mix 1 cup sour cream with remaining enchilada sauce. Pour over top making sure sauce covers all tortillas. Top with cheese. Garnish with sliced olives if you wish. Bake 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until hot. Serve with more sour cream if desired.

YUM!


Here's the hummus recipe. My friend Eva gave it to me. I LOVE it! I use my large food processor and used less oil but then added a little more and also a little more garlic. Once in the bowl to serve I sprinkled more cumin on top. So good!

1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)

1/2 c. olive oil (I often just do 1/3 and add more tahini)

1/4 (or 1/3 c) c tahini

1/4 c. lemon juice

2 large cloves of minced garlic

cumin (to taste - I do about 1/2 T.)

Salt (to taste)

Mix in food processor. Great to dip tortilla chips, veggies or pita in!


No comments:

Post a Comment